Tom Petty’s 1965 Gibson SG is set to go under the hammer on July 21st via Heritage Auctions. The guitar, which Petty famously played during the Heartbreakers’ 60-date 1986 “True Confessions” tour backing Bob Dylan, is being sold along with Petty’s iconic black top hat – also used on the tour and in the Traveling Wilbury’s videos “Handle With Care” and “End Of The Line.” LiveForLiveMusic.com reported the guitar is “signed by the late guitarist and also includes a signed black-and-white photo of Tom Petty playing with Bob Dylan during a performance – Tom Petty wrote a note on the photo confirming this guitar was played on tour with Dylan.” The guitar is being sold by Petty’s friend, Norm Harris, who runs a rare guitar shop. The guitar and top hat are expected to fetch up to $300,000, with proceeds from the sale benefiting two Southern California charities – The Midnight Mission that helps the homeless and the Tazzy Animal Rescue Fund.
- 'Woodstock' Movie to Be Shown in Theaters for One Night
- 35 Years Ago: 'The Last Starfigher' Empowers Teens to Save the Galaxy
- Queen + Adam Lambert Celebrate Brian May's Birthday at the Forum: Photo Gallery
- Manson Family Murder Home Listed for $1.98 Million
- Metallica Rep and Live Nation Conspired on Ticket Scheme
- Eagles Magazine Ads Through the Years: 1972-2015