Tom Petty’s 1965 Gibson SG is set to go under the hammer on July 21st via Heritage Auctions. The guitar, which Petty famously played during the Heartbreakers’ 60-date 1986 “True Confessions” tour backing Bob Dylan, is being sold along with Petty’s iconic black top hat – also used on the tour and in the Traveling Wilbury’s videos “Handle With Care” and “End Of The Line.” LiveForLiveMusic.com reported the guitar is “signed by the late guitarist and also includes a signed black-and-white photo of Tom Petty playing with Bob Dylan during a performance – Tom Petty wrote a note on the photo confirming this guitar was played on tour with Dylan.” The guitar is being sold by Petty’s friend, Norm Harris, who runs a rare guitar shop. The guitar and top hat are expected to fetch up to $300,000, with proceeds from the sale benefiting two Southern California charities – The Midnight Mission that helps the homeless and the Tazzy Animal Rescue Fund.
- Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd Headline Exit 111 Festival
- The Best Song From Every Led Zeppelin Album
- Watch the Avengers Fall to Billy Joel's 'We Didn't Start the Fire'
- How Tom Petty's 'Songs From the Garage' Became 'Full Moon Fever'
- Eric Clapton Announces Brief U.S. Tour
- The Show Must Go On: The Queen and Adam Lambert Journey